Hi. My name is Thomas Hedges, and I work as the Capitol Hill correspondent for The Real News Network. I have a mountain of story ideas in my head, and as a young reporter in the nation's capital and as someone who began his journalism career two years ago working with Ralph Nader, I've been exposed again and again to the injustice and fraud that is very characteristic of Washington politics nowadays.Since then I've struggled to materialize those stories. But with no corporate funding and no advertising at The Real News it's been tough translating all of those narratives into video. For example, at the moment I'm working on a piece about how the Pentagon doesn't get audited. Even though it's been required to by law since 1990, it keeps on getting extensions. That's more that $600 billion, or half of our discretionary budget yearly, that is never accounted for.To produce a hard-hitting piece on the issue, I need to do proper research, I need to do original reporting, I need to arrange for interviews, I need to develop contacts, I need to travel, shoot and edit the material that I get in a timely manner. It's difficult to do that with limited resources and staff. At the same time, it's quite rewarding, because I know I'm not beholden to the special interests that dictate the way journalism is done at other news outlets.That's why viewers like you are so important not only to The Real News, but to me. I care about bringing you the truth. Help me do that.
wibiya widget
Blogger templates
Popular posts
-
DENVER — A new delivery helped Barry Zito look like his old self. San Francisco’s 33-year-old lefty tweaked his delivery and toyed with th...
-
The first two paragraphs of a recent politico.com piece, “Inside the war on coal: How Mike Bloomberg, red-state businesses, and a lot ...
-
As a never married person, I often like to reference this quote from the (once married) Katharine Hepburn: “If you want to sacrifice the...
-
Kayleb Moon-Robinson was 11 years old last fall when charges — criminal charges — began piling up at school....
-
In my neighborhood of South St. Anthony Park in St. Paul, we tend to treat our alley like a woonerf. That’s not an autocorrect you’re r...
-
A jailbreak has been developed for Apple's latest mobile operating system, but there are a few issues that need ironing out H...
-
If you've made a phone call, sent a text or an email, the Federal Bureau of Investigation could be monitoring your online act...
-
On Monday, February 2, an international coalition of scholars, journalists, and filmmakers sent a letter to President Obama to e...
-
The Senate on Wednesday passed 46 bills into law in less than ten minutes the bills were introduced by the Chairman, Senate Committee...
-
Troy Tulowitzki yells at Ubaldo Jimenez after being struck in the elbow by a pitch. (Marcio Jose Sanchez / AP) Was it simply an accident, l...
Friday, 5 June 2015
Thomas Hedges and the Struggle to Cover Capitol Hill
Posted by
uk and usa trends
,
at
23:03
Hi. My name is Thomas Hedges, and I work as the Capitol Hill correspondent for The Real News Network. I have a mountain of story ideas in my head, and as a young reporter in the nation's capital and as someone who began his journalism career two years ago working with Ralph Nader, I've been exposed again and again to the injustice and fraud that is very characteristic of Washington politics nowadays.Since then I've struggled to materialize those stories. But with no corporate funding and no advertising at The Real News it's been tough translating all of those narratives into video. For example, at the moment I'm working on a piece about how the Pentagon doesn't get audited. Even though it's been required to by law since 1990, it keeps on getting extensions. That's more that $600 billion, or half of our discretionary budget yearly, that is never accounted for.To produce a hard-hitting piece on the issue, I need to do proper research, I need to do original reporting, I need to arrange for interviews, I need to develop contacts, I need to travel, shoot and edit the material that I get in a timely manner. It's difficult to do that with limited resources and staff. At the same time, it's quite rewarding, because I know I'm not beholden to the special interests that dictate the way journalism is done at other news outlets.That's why viewers like you are so important not only to The Real News, but to me. I care about bringing you the truth. Help me do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


